Re: make buildworld problem

From: Kulpreet Singh <singhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:42:21 +0000

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Hello everyone,
> :
> :I checked out the src for dfbsd into /usr/src. But when I do the first
> :thing, which is "make buildworld", I get a make error in "stage 4".
> :
> :The error is after ===>include
> :
> :Here's what I get -
> :
> :===> include
> :...
> :__FreeBSD_version' $RELDATE >> osreldate.h;  echo "#endif" >> osreldate.h
> :make: no target to make.
> :*** Error code 2
> :
>
>     I can think of two things:  (1) Did you check DFly out over the
>     FreeBSD
>     source accidently?  Be sure to check it out into a clean (empty)
>     /usr/src. e.g. cd /usr; rm -rf src; cvs -d /home/dcvs checkout src.
>
>     And, (2), more likely, is that you did not wipe your /usr/obj.  In
>     particular, if your /usr/src is not a softlink somewhere you would
>     need to wipe /usr/obj/usr/src to get rid of the old FreeBSD cruft in
>     the
>     object tree.  Easiest thing to do is:
>
> rm -rf /usr/obj
> chflags -R noschg /usr/obj
> rm -rf /usr/obj
> mkdir /usr/obj
>
> -Matt

OK. Did all that. I thought if the make buildincludes and make
installincludes could be causing a problem. Doesn't seem so. Here's what is
happening now.

rm -rf /usr/src
rm -rf /usr/obj
rm -rf /usr/include [[Just to be sure]]
cvs -d /home/dcvs checkout src
cd /usr/src
make buildincludes [[success]]
make installincludes [[success]]
make buildworld [[the above exactly as in my first post]]

Is it just 4.7 ?? Should I just upgrade to 4.9 first? Would the from source
method work? I am wondering if these problems would remain. Maybe I am
being superstitious.

Thanks

-kp

--
Distributed Systems Group,      |       Home is where .emacs is.
Computer Science Deptt,         |