Re: Bind update

From: Richard Coleman <richardcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:55:34 -0500

David Rhodus wrote:
Richard Coleman wrote:

Is there any reason to keep bind (other than resolver libs) in the base system? I don't want to be too minimalistic, but I've always found that having bind in the base just gets in my way. And the bind9 port is a very easy install.

This question comes up everytime we look to patch or update some vendor type of software
in the cvs tree. I don't think we are any were near close enough to look at hacking up the
contrib dir, at least not for several months.

I can't find a pressing reason to remove it as it would require a large amount of work for a proper removal. I know, I know bind-8 has some serious, unfixable issues withit the biggest of which being that NS glue and additional-record returns are not properly separated out from offical glue and official record data in internal structures and can poison the DNS cache.

I also don't want to rely on using the bind9 from ports as there is not real support under DragonFly for the ports tree at this time. Only hacks that we've added on to help make life better. At this FreeBSD is going in a different direction than DragonFly and the ports tree is
being tuned for FreeBSD and hence may end up breaking builds of software that complies
cleanly from the vendors website. I've also noticed that the bind-9 port does not properly
install the new encrypted command/management system.

-DR

I understand that it may be a little early to rip this out of the base. Just something to keep in mind for later. It's a pretty big package and is updated frequently. And since it is not necessary for a typical system (except for resolver libs), it seems a logical candidate to be moved to ports. Especially since many bind users are now moving to bind9 (usually to get the new root-delegation-only feature).

Part of my interest in this is also to gauge the interest to moving the resolver libs to the versions contained in bind9. At this point, it seems stable enough that this should be considered.

Also, I'm not sure what problem you are referring to in the bind9 port. I just copied my rndc.key file to the right directory and rndc worked out of the box. But my bind setup is pretty simple.

I realize this is just idle, bikeshed discussion. But it's interesting :-)

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx