Re: AMD64 impressions (Re: AMD64 box)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:05:15 -0800 (PST)

:I think big reason for the speed improvement here is because on every
:syscall entry on a P4 you hit a branch misprediction and the AMD it
:cares
:more about just blowing through the instructions which makes it a lot
:faster
:at most things.
:
:-DR

    I love this K8V motherboard!  Well, except for PNPBIOS not working due
    to bugs in their BIOS.  The BIOS has overclocking selections.  I boosted
    the core from 2 to 2.2GHz (10%) and the buildworld completes in
    1156.21 real now instead of 1237.27 real.  Awesome!  sc1 now comes back
    with 227ns/loop.  And the box is very quiet... I don't think it's
    possible to get a 3GHz P4 box this quiet short of spending a lot of
    money on heatpipes.  Still nowhere near as quiet as an EPIA box, of course,
    but I am impressed.

    I tried real hard to get PNPBIOS working.  I imported a lot of junk
    from FreeBSD-5 but none of it helped.  The BIOS on this motherboard
    is just plain broken as far as I can tell.