Re: AMD64 impressions (Re: AMD64 box)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:36:22 -0800 (PST)

:
:When we do a port, you can use their new syscall/sysret instructions and it=
:=20
:cuts syscall overhead to 1/4 what it is by using software ints.  This sound=
:s=20
:real exciting for moving parts out of the kernel.
:=2D-=20
:Craig Dooley										craig@xxxxxxxxxx

    I'm not going to worry about syscall/sysret for at least another 6
    months and probably a year.  It's a paper tiger... the savings would
    help a getuid() in a loop benchmark, but it wouldn't really help
    performance overall and it's still just doing a ring change so it doesn't
    really help moving pieces out of the kernel either (because doing that
    involves loading a new MMU base pointer).