Re: snapshots are broken

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:35:30 +0100

-On [20031103 11:12], Matthew Dillon (dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>    Well, if you only need the storage capacity of a floppy then there
>    are plenty of alternatives that are re-writable.  Compact flash in
>    an IDE adapter, for example.

USB memory sticks.
I need to see how I could make this more approachable for multiple
people and useful for the project.

>    Hmm.  Doesn't PXE have a UDP packet interface?  We might be able to
>    implement a remote 'block' device (that isn't tftp) and use that as
>    our 'disk' on machines with PXE.  Or a kernel-only boot could use UDP
>    to access the 'disk' via the network.  Hmm.  hmmm.
>
>:>	* netboot (PXE), or
>:
>:Assuming you have a second machine which has all the needed stuff to
>:make this feasible.
>
>    I have funds sufficient to get two small (sub $300) boxes,
>    e.g. like the EPIA boxes, each month.  If people need second machines
>    we can create a waiting list prioritized by need and I can fund an
>    effort to get everyone a second development system to make messing
>    around easier.  I can't provide screens, those are hell to ship,
>    but maybe a screen/kb/mouse switcher for those who need it.

Thankfully I am blessed with having enough funds to have enough hardware
as it is. ;)
Mmm, I should be counting my days though, given I am going to propose to
my gf next week...

I am sure others could appreciate such a thing, Eirik is a student for
example, I'm sure his income is pretty drastically low.
Same will go for Hiten.

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources...