Re: snapshots are broken

From: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:17:22 -0500

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
Mmm, that's a nice thing.  I should check out more of the Compact Flash
cards, see how easy it might be to whip up some generic support for
some.  We do have some support for certain brands already IIRC.

Good news: in IDE emulation mode, they look and act just like IDE drives. You need an adaptor; I grabbed one for $20 (which, for a mass-market item, would be overpriced -- this is literally a few resistors and diodes, maybe an LED or two if you want to get fancy, and the hardware to adapt the form factors -- but, sadly, this doesn't seem to be a mass-market item).

I think that I did see some ATAPI messages from the Linux kernel when using it... no functionality was amiss, though.

http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/IDE_To_CF_Adapter.htm is where I got mine from. If you're feeling more hobbyist-inclined, the (very readable) standards can be downloaded for free from http://www.compactflash.org/ .

However, in IDE emulation mode, you cannot remove the card; it tends to make the IDE bus a tad angry. For that, you would want to use a normal card reader.

Dave