Re: snapshots are broken

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:14:09 -0800 (PST)

:Well, as a proud member of several 5% minorities like everyone else around
:here, I do often find that the first system I need to install any given BSD
:release on is one of those that needs a network install from a boot floppy...
:
:And I never seem to have a suitable host system (right release) to build a
:custom kernel (it's probably only luck that I've always had a suitable system
:handy to even mount kern.flp to echo -P >/boot.config); a WORKING cross-build
:environment such as NetBSD almost has might make this easier, but it's still
:way too much work - I'm quite happy building kernels, but I don't expect my
:clients (for example) to be, just to install a BSD gateway or news server in
:a heterogenous environment.
:
:In short, I consider _easy_ creation of a serial console boot floppy which can
:do a network install absolutely critical.
:
:		Cheers,
:
:		Mark.

   Cross build environments are something we would be able to support fairly
   easy with the VFS environment idea.

   Damn it.  Ok, I guess as soon as I finish taking a look at Jeff's
   TCP thread code I am going to quickly implement variant symlinks (because
   they are damn easy to do), THEN I'll start working on VFS messaging
   and VFS environments.  Their time has come.

   I am going to put a hold on trying to fix namecache.  I can abstract out
   the VFS messaging from what I've done so far, but it's just too complex
   a problem to do as quickly as I would have liked to do it, so I'll revisit
   it later when it isn't holding up the rest of the project :-).  there
   are too many other low hanging fruits that are a lot easy to accomplish.