Re: Remove BIND, Sendmail, Perl and etc from base?

From: Peter da Silva <peter-dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:01:56 -0500

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
As a matter of fact, OpenBSD ports can do most of portage without the
need of portage and they are normal Makefiles.

I would definitely prefer that this be based on the BSD ports system, with ports and packages in easily understood tarballs.

I also think it needs to be looked at as it progresses. It doesn't
make sense to have every file in /bin be a separate package...
there are definite clusters of components that make sense to
collect together, and I don't really like the idea of stripping
things all the way down tothe Linux level either. But certainly
there are large chunks of the FreeBSD system that are in the
"core" that, even if they remain inthe base install, should be
abstracted into packages.

Perl
Sendmail
BIND
gcc
nvi
. ..

Basically, at the very least anything that's a third-party program
should be kept that way. Maintaining a separate "sendmail" tree just
doesn't make sense.

Going from there to things like the stock bin tools, let's just
see how it works up to there. It may make sense to keep a real core,
or it may turn out to be so easy to use the packages that there's
no point to NOT stripping everything down.