Re: Package download statistics

From: "Andrey N. Oktyabrski" <ano@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 18:24:09 +0400

On 02.06.2013 16:32, John Marino wrote:
> On 6/1/2013 13:13, Chris Turner wrote:
>> On 05/30/13 01:59, Francois Tigeot wrote:
>>> The pkgsrc trend is reinforced though, almost nobody downloads pkgsrc
>>> packages.
>>
>> This could be an indication that pkgsrc users are more likely
>> to build from source
>
> Since Francois is saying that pre-building pkgsrc binaries seems to be a
> waste and resources for DragonFly developers, stating that pkgsrc users
> only build from source makes the proposal to stop pre-building pkgsrc
> binaries a lot stronger.
I think it will be too much revolutions. Drop i386, drop pkgsrc, what
next? Drop dfly and use freebsd? Please do not make hasty decisions :-)

> The bigger question, of course, is *why* pkgsrc users are likely to
> build from source?  Could it be that they had lots of issues with that
> in the past?  Who wouldn't want something fast and quick if it were
> trustworthy?  The "indication" alone is telling.

Why you see that package download statistics (IMHO):
1. All users want to try dports - even if they use pkgsrc.

2. Many people are afraid of this message:
pkg_add: Warning: package `ipcalc-0.41nb1' was built for a platform:
pkg_add: DragonFly/x86_64 3.3 (pkg) vs. DragonFly/x86_64 3.4 (this host)

3. Many users compile their packages with options. Some packages require
accepting license. For example:
$ grep '^PKG_OPTIONS' /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf | wc -l
       16
$ grep '^ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES' /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf | wc -l
        8

4. You do not do regular bulk builds. So if I want recent package, I
must refresh pkgsrc tree from anoncvs.netbsd.org and build it from sources.