Re: Dports

From: Gavin Reade <greadey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 11:30:41 +1000

--047d7b10d0dbc1e33304dda918cd

Hi John,

Thanks for that.  I must have panicked a bit since I found the answer out
my self "pkg info".  All the packages I'd built were registered with pkg.

regards,

greadey

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd@marino.st>wrote:

> On 5/24/2013 13:17, Gavin Reade wrote:
>
>> Anyway enough babble, I had DFly 3.2 and upgraded to 3.4, lost my
>> X server config, machine went dead (no virtual consoles) so I just
>> installed a vanilla 3.4.
>>

> If you had an x86-64, it may have been the avx support that kill your
> packages.  They all have to be rebuilt.  Additionally, there seems to be an
> increasing number of reports of problems with pkgsrc xorg and DragonFly 3.4.
>
>  Maybe a good idea, maybe not (thinking back to my Win95 days......).
>> 'Course, the new thing is dports.  First thing I did was get the dports
>> tree and install lynx.  I did a make&&  make install&&  make clean.
>>
>> However I have been reading stuff and there is another part.....
>> pkg??.  My question is; is the general idea to use dports to
>> build the package and then use pkg? to install it?
>> How does pkg relate to dports?  Can dports install
>> ready made binary packages (there seems to be no dports command).
>>

> There is no "dports" command.
> "pkg" is what you want.
>
> pkg is a binary package manager.  Pretty much all of the packages that
> build have already been built for you, so you don't need to compile them.
>  (see https://www.dragonflybsd.org/**docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/<https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/>
> )
>
> pkg is also involved during the source builds.  pkg is an invisible
> dependency of every port, so it will always be built and installed for a
> source build if it's not already present.  You don't need to do anything
> special, including building it first (that happens automatically).
>
> The "general" idea is that people should use the prebuilt packages.  If
> they need to build from scratch to change the options, or if the prebuilt
> version isn't available, they can and it integrates fine with the prebuilt
> versions.
>
> Does that help?  It's pretty easy -- just look at "man pkg" or "pkg help"
> etc and it should make sense.
>
> John

--047d7b10d0dbc1e33304dda918cd

st have panicked a bit since I found the answer out my self &quot;pkg info&=
quot;. =A0All the packages I&#39;d built were registered with pkg.</div><di=
v style>
 Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM, John Marino <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:dragonflybsd@marino.st"; target=3D"_blank">dragonflybsd@marino.st=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On 5/24/2013 13:17, Gavin =
Reade wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Anyway enough babble, I had DFly 3.2 and upgraded to 3.4, lost my<br>
X server config, machine went dead (no virtual consoles) so I just<br>
installed a vanilla 3.4.<br>
If you had an x86-64, it may have been the avx support that kill your packa=
ges. =A0They all have to be rebuilt. =A0Additionally, there seems to be an =
increasing number of reports of problems with pkgsrc xorg and DragonFly 3.4=
.<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">
Maybe a good idea, maybe not (thinking back to my Win95 days......).<br>
&#39;Course, the new thing is dports. =A0First thing I did was get the dpor=
ts<br></div>
tree and install lynx. =A0I did a make&amp;&amp; =A0make install&amp;&amp; =
=A0make clean.<div class=3D"im"><br>
However I have been reading stuff and there is another part.....<br>
pkg??. =A0My question is; is the general idea to use dports to<br>
build the package and then use pkg? to install it?<br>
How does pkg relate to dports? =A0Can dports install<br>
ready made binary packages (there seems to be no dports command).<br>
There is no &quot;dports&quot; command.<br>
&quot;pkg&quot; is what you want.<br>
pkg is a binary package manager. =A0Pretty much all of the packages that bu=
ild have already been built for you, so you don&#39;t need to compile them.=
 =A0(see <a href=3D"https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/"; =
target=3D"_blank">https://www.dragonflybsd.org/<u></u>docs/howtos/HowToDPor=
ts/</a>)<br>

pkg is also involved during the source builds. =A0pkg is an invisible depen=
dency of every port, so it will always be built and installed for a source =
build if it&#39;s not already present. =A0You don&#39;t need to do anything=
 special, including building it first (that happens automatically).<br>

The &quot;general&quot; idea is that people should use the prebuilt package=
s. =A0If they need to build from scratch to change the options, or if the p=
rebuilt version isn&#39;t available, they can and it integrates fine with t=
he prebuilt versions.<br>

Does that help? =A0It&#39;s pretty easy -- just look at &quot;man pkg&quot;=
 or &quot;pkg help&quot; etc and it should make sense.<span class=3D"HOEnZb=
"><font color=3D"#888888"><br>
John<br>

--047d7b10d0dbc1e33304dda918cd--