Dports

From: Gavin Reade <greadey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 21:17:32 +1000

Hi All,
I've been lurking around here for a while now.  I migrated
from GNU/Linux to PCBSD about 12 months ago.  I
got hold of another computer (quite old) and thought I'd
install DFlyBSD.  I have to say PCBSD has made BSD
easy, however I still like a challenge.
Anyway enough babble, I had DFly 3.2 and upgraded to 3.4, lost my
X server config, machine went dead (no virtual consoles) so I just
installed a vanilla 3.4.
Maybe a good idea, maybe not (thinking back to my Win95 days......).
'Course, the new thing is dports.  First thing I did was get the dports
tree and install lynx.  I did a make && make install && make clean.
However I have been reading stuff and there is another part.....
pkg??.  My question is; is the general idea to use dports to
build the package and then use pkg? to install it?
How does pkg relate to dports?  Can dports install
ready made binary packages (there seems to be no dports command).
thanks, greadey