Re: confusion, dports, pkg, and pkgsrc

From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 16:14:53 -0500

Dear sir,

Thank you for your answers.  I have not installed anything this time
around with pkgsrc.  So
I will be sticking with pkg :)

What do you mean by ``If you pick dports, you have to relocate
/usr/pkg to prevent dports from picking pkgsrc libraries up during a
build or perhaps with ldconfig.'', do you mean change the directory
name?  or move it to a different one?  I am thinking that I should
just use pkg and if I run
# pkg update
it will update all the installed packages?
I apologize for asking, but the handbook which I have read several
times does not give a clear cut answer :(

The one on pkgsrc which I used is here:

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToPkgsrc/

I had mixed stuff then and then I added stuff via pkg, and that was a
NO NO!  So aside from the error at startup, I have reinstalled cleanly
and starting from fresh.

The good part that I am understanding is that if I use Dports (pkg)
then I can also build from source, but not to use pkgsrc and Dports at
the same time.

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/

Firefox asks that one puts sem_load="YES" into /boot/loader.conf, but
I include that in /boot/loader.conf and I get that kernel sem not
found at startup.  Is this important?

Thanks for helping me.

Best Regards,

Antonio