DragonFly users List (threaded) for 2013-05
Package download statistics
It has now been a week since DragonFly 3.4 has been released.
Given many people are feeling it's time to end support for i386 machines, I
have decided to create some statistics on the relative usage of the 32 and
The following raw numbers represent the number of DragonFly 3.4 package
downloads on mirror-master.dragonflybsd.org :
* 3436 pkgng/dports x86:32 downloads
* 14223 pkgng/dports x86:64 downloads
* 120 pkgsrc i386 downloads
* 139 pkgsrc x86_64 downloads
In percentages, this means:
* 80.15% of downloaded packages are for the amd64/x86_64 architecture
* 98.55% of downloaded packages are pkgng/dports versions
The ~= 80% 64-bit usage is mostly in line with what some Linux distributions
are reporting. With almost 20% users, it's a hard-sell to remove support for
32-bit machines at this time.
Now, the _very_ interesting (and unexpected) part is the less than 2% pkgsrc
Maybe it's just that pkgng is so much better, maybe it's that pkgsrc users
prefer to build software from source. Difficult to know.
In any case, I don't see a reason to continue building pkgsrc packages with