Re: Resize HAMMER filesystem

From: Antonio Huete Jimenez <ahuete.devel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 19:51:31 +0200

--e89a8ff1c11873cdb104dbbfe2da

Hi Charles,

You can dump the PFSes to gzipped files, this way you would not lose your
history. See an example in this document:

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/howto_reinstall_hammer/

The procedure would be a bit complex as it is a manual installation. You
can see the steps to be followed in the rconfig scripts (for example
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/share/examples/rconfig/hammer.sh
)

HTH

Cheers,
Antonio Huete

2013/5/2 Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>

> Why via dd?   Why not just rsync from one system to the other?
>
> That's how we do our backups and restores, regardless of disk sizes.
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Charles Rapenne <
> charles.rapenne@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2013/5/2 Antonio Huete Jimenez <ahuete.devel@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi Charles,
>> >
>> > HAMMER supports multi-volume filesystems. This means you can add/deletet
>> > volumes with the directives specified in HAMMER(8) manpage.
>> > That said, I would like to point out that it has not been widely tested
>> as
>> > far as I know so I would be careful with it.
>> >
>> > What are you trying to dd exactly? Another HAMMER filesystem which
>> resides
>> > on a smaller disk to a bigger one?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Antonio Huete

>> Let imagine you have dragonfly installed on a 250 Gb disk, and you
>> want to move it to a 500 Gb disk without reinstalling, how could you
>> dump your existing disk and grow the HAMMER partition ?
>>
>> I need this to install the system from a virtual machine to a remote
>> host, using DD (Already did it for OpenBSD and NetBSD and I would like
>> to do it with DragonFly so at least, we could install DragonFly on
>> dedicated servers).
>>

> --
> Freddie Cash
> fjwcash@gmail.com

--e89a8ff1c11873cdb104dbbfe2da

to gzipped files, this way you would not lose your history. See an example =
in this document:<br><br><a href=3D"http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos=
/howto_reinstall_hammer/">http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/howto_rei=
nstall_hammer/</a><br>
on.=20
You can see the steps to be followed in the rconfig scripts (for example=20
are/examples/rconfig/hammer.sh">http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.gi=
iv class=3D"gmail_quote">2013/5/2 Freddie Cash <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:fjwcash@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">fjwcash@gmail.com</a>&gt;<=
/span><br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Why via dd?=A0=A0 Why not j=
ust rsync from one system to the other?<br><br>That&#39;s how we do our bac=
kups and restores, regardless of disk sizes.<br>
=3D"gmail_quote">
On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Charles Rapenne <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:charles.rapenne@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">charles.rapenne@=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

2013/5/2 Antonio Huete Jimenez &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ahuete.devel@gmail.com=
" target=3D"_blank">ahuete.devel@gmail.com</a>&gt;:<br>
&gt; Hi Charles,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; HAMMER supports multi-volume filesystems. This means you can add/delet=
et<br>
&gt; volumes with the directives specified in HAMMER(8) manpage.<br>
&gt; That said, I would like to point out that it has not been widely teste=
d as<br>
&gt; far as I know so I would be careful with it.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What are you trying to dd exactly? Another HAMMER filesystem which res=
ides<br>
&gt; on a smaller disk to a bigger one?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Cheers,<br>
&gt; Antonio Huete<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; 2013/5/2 Charles Rapenne &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:charles.rapenne@gmail.c=
om" target=3D"_blank">charles.rapenne@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Hello,<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; How do you resize a HAMMER partition ? There is usually a command<=
br>
&gt;&gt; &quot;grow_&quot; or &quot;resize_&quot; to extend and sometimes s=
hrink the filesystem,<br>
&gt;&gt; but I can&#39;t find it in HAMMER.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I need to hard copy a disk with &quot;dd&quot;, and I&#39;d like t=
o create the<br>
&gt;&gt; hammer filesystem very tiny at first, then grow it to take all the=
&gt;&gt; disk.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Regards<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
Let imagine you have dragonfly installed on a 250 Gb disk, and you<br>
want to move it to a 500 Gb disk without reinstalling, how could you<br>
dump your existing disk and grow the HAMMER partition ?<br>
I need this to install the system from a virtual machine to a remote<br>
host, using DD (Already did it for OpenBSD and NetBSD and I would like<br>
to do it with DragonFly so at least, we could install DragonFly on<br>
dedicated servers).<br>