Re: Dummynet + PF + vkernel

From: Raimundo Santos <raitech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 21:32:39 -0300

--089e0160b59841cef804da4747bb

I am very scared after reading this

https://wiki.freebsd.org/IpfwNg

how could I put my trust in something that could have so many edge cases?

I know that is a lot off topic, but what about Xen? May it be reliable to
run routers/gateways/firewalls over Xen?

On 13 April 2013 11:19, Raimundo Santos <raitech@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Antonio!
>
> Well, there is not much to miss ;) - it is an ISP which uses wireless to
> distribute internet, which in turns do not allow us to control the
> bandwidth limit over the medium in a trusted way. Therefore, we need to
> limit this traffic in some way, and the actual way is with linux(iptables=
 +
> tc), but it is hard to maintain - and almost everything is manualy
> controled 0_o (I am new at this job)
>
> A really liked the PF syntax, it is clean and easy to read - even more
> within the match keyword that is new in OpenBSD >=3D 4.7. But the queuing
> methods implemented in PF do not let to share the bandwitdh in an
> overbooking fashion, which is crucial to an ISP. The only way is to divid=
> the queues to share bandwidth in a manner that do not surpass the total.
>
> By now, I am putting my chips in FreeBSD ipfw integration with ALTQ, in a
> way that the packets are limited by pipe and queued with HFSC in ALTQ. Bu=
> I really dislike the syntax of ipfw, it reminds me of iptables.
>
> Cheers!
>

> On 12 April 2013 18:13, Antonio Huete Jimenez <tuxillo@quantumachine.net>=
wrote:

>> **
>>  Hi Raimundo,
>>
>>  I don't think vkernels are up to the task currently. In my
>> experience/opinion they are not stable and fast enough now for what you =
are
>> intending to do.
>>  Maybe I am just missing some details of your setup.
>>
>>  Cheers,
>>  Antonio Huete
>>
>> El 12 de abril de 2013 a las 17:14 Raimundo Santos <raitech@gmail.com>
>> escribi=F3:
>>
>>  On 12 April 2013 02:58, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> You could use ALTQ fairq w/ PF, which is similar to dummynet's WF2Q
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> sephe
>>
>> --
>> Tomorrow Will Never Die
>>

>> Hum... but I need to do a hard limiting to all my customers. They have a
>> unique IP address, so I can decide about the bandwidth (here, we are abo=
ut
>> to implement RADIUS to do auth too). The ideia here is to
>>
>>  1. limit external in/out traffic
>>  2. do QoS over this limited traffic
>>
>>  I have an average of 600 clients at the same time, so I think that FAIR=
>> could be a good thing but not to hard limiting every IP.
>>
>>  If I offer three kinds of bandwidth to my customers, may I define three
>> subclasses in FAIRQ and let the traffic of the right kinds go through th=
>> right queues? I think it does not work: if someone is hogging that queue=
> [...]

--=20
Raimundo A. P. Santos
Bacharelando em Inform=E1tica
ICMC - USP

--089e0160b59841cef804da4747bb

href=3D"https://wiki.freebsd.org/IpfwNg";>https://wiki.freebsd.org/IpfwNg</a=
that could have so many edge cases?</div>

out Xen? May it be reliable to run routers/gateways/firewalls over Xen?=A0<=
 13 April 2013 11:19, Raimundo Santos <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:raitech@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">raitech@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wr=
ote:<br>

div>Well, there is not much to miss ;) - it is an ISP which uses wireless t=
o distribute internet, which in turns do not allow us to control the bandwi=
dth limit over the medium in a trusted way. Therefore, we need to limit thi=
s traffic in some way, and the actual way is with linux(iptables + tc), but=
 it is hard to maintain - and almost everything is manualy controled 0_o (I=
 am new at this job)</div>

ead - even more within the match keyword that is new in OpenBSD &gt;=3D 4.7=
. But the queuing methods implemented in PF do not let to share the bandwit=
dh in an overbooking fashion, which is crucial to an ISP. The only way is t=
o divide the queues to share bandwidth in a manner that do not surpass the =
total.</div>

on with ALTQ, in a way that the packets are limited by pipe and queued with=
 HFSC in ALTQ. But I really dislike the syntax of ipfw, it reminds me of ip=
tables.</div>

il 2013 18:13, Antonio Huete Jimenez <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
o:tuxillo@quantumachine.net" target=3D"_blank">tuxillo@quantumachine.net</a=
>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>
   =20
=20
 =20
=20
=20
   Hi Raimundo,
   =A0
   I don&#39;t think vkernels are up to the task currently. In my experienc=
e/opinion they are not stable and fast enough now for what you are intendin=
g to do.
   Maybe I am just missing some details of your setup.
   =A0
   Cheers,
   Antonio Huete
1px blue" type=3D"cite">
   El 12 de abril de 2013 a las 17:14 Raimundo Santos &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:raitech@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">raitech@gmail.com</a>&gt; escribi=F3:
    On 12 April 2013 02:58, Sepherosa Ziehau=20
erosa@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:
ding-left:1ex">=20
        =A0
#39;s WF2Q
have a unique IP address, so I can decide about the bandwidth (here, we are=
 about to implement RADIUS to do auth too). The ideia here is to
     =A0
     1. limit external in/out traffic
     2. do QoS over this limited traffic
     =A0
     I have an average of 600 clients at the same time, so I think that FAI=
RQ could be a good thing but not to hard limiting every IP.
     =A0
     If I offer three kinds of bandwidth to my customers, may I define thre=
e subclasses in FAIRQ and let the traffic of the right kinds go through the=
 right queues? I think it does not work: if someone is hogging that queue, =
what the others will end up with?=A0
      =A0
=20
--------------------------------------<br>Raimundo A. P. Santos<br>Bacharel=