Re: How to do a software based RAID 1+0?

From: Mark Doe <mark.doe.priv@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:24:19 +0100

--f46d044785d96bb65b04d6a67217

I wrote a wiki page about that topic here:
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/docs/howtos/howtosoftwareraid/

but as Greear said, today we shift more and more to FS based Raids /
Mirrors..

2013/2/26 Samuel J. Greear <sjg@evilcode.net>

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Joel Nilsson <joel@alikzus.se> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > if I want to do soft RAID10 is vinum(8) the way to go?
> >
> > The main purpose is to crank up the I/O rate without loosing too much
> reliability.
> >
> > It is intended for my personal/private file server at home, so a
> temporary loss of availability is not an issue (for now, it may change).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Joel
>
> There are various options for software raid in DragonFly but a
> hardware raid controller is generally considered the most reliable
> option.
>
> Typically though in DragonFly you would hammer mirror-stream between
> disks for redundancy and utilize swapcache to acheive your throughput
> needs.
>
> Sam

--f46d044785d96bb65b04d6a67217

ef=3D"http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/docs/howtos/howtosoftwareraid/";>http=
iv><br>

ss=3D"gmail_quote">2013/2/26 Samuel J. Greear <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:sjg@evilcode.net"; target=3D"_blank">sjg@evilcode.net</a>&gt;</sp=
an><br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"HOEnZb"><div class=3D"h5">On T=
ue, Feb 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Joel Nilsson &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:joel@alikzu=
s.se">joel@alikzus.se</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; if I want to do soft RAID10 is vinum(8) the way to go?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The main purpose is to crank up the I/O rate without loosing too much =
reliability.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; It is intended for my personal/private file server at home, so a tempo=
rary loss of availability is not an issue (for now, it may change).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt; Joel<br>
br>
hardware raid controller is generally considered the most reliable<br>
option.<br>
Typically though in DragonFly you would hammer mirror-stream between<br>
disks for redundancy and utilize swapcache to acheive your throughput<br>
needs.<br>
Sam<br>

--f46d044785d96bb65b04d6a67217--