Re: Unison and Hammer History

From: "peeter (must)" <karu.pruun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:55:23 +0000

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Predrag Punosevac
<punosevac72@gmail.com> wrote:
> "peeter (must)" <karu.pruun@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Predrag Punosevac
>> <punosevac72@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings all!
>> >
>> > I am completely new to DragonFly BSD although not to BSDs in general and
>> > this is my first post the list so bear with me just a little bit.
>> >
>> > I am running DragonFly (HAMMER file system of course) on Dell PowerEdge
>> > R210 II Ultra-compact Rack Server. Everything works like a charm (let me
>> > know if you need a dmesg).  This machine is a new file server for my
>> > cloud computing lab. It essentially runs only one service SSH and has
>> > only two pieces of additional software installed CVS and Unison. It is
>> > supposed to act as a CVS server and a remote storage.
>> >
>> > I am in the process of playing with HAMMER and writing wiki for my
>> > users.
>> >
>> > I am a bit confused by the interplay of hammer history and Unison so I
>> > was wondering if some kind soul could explain me what is going on?
>> > Namely when I sync files with Unison from my home desktop the hammer
>> > history shows as a date of the file creation the time of the last
>> > synchronization. When I change files locally I can clearly see the
>> > history and I can pull old versions from the journal. Why can't I see
>> > file changes which are propagated with Unison from my desktop in the
>> > hammer history?
>>

>> I guess it depends on whether Unison has changed the given file on the
>> server since last pruning, which I think happens every night at about
>> 3am?
>>
>> As a simple test, you can do on the server
>>
>> > touch someFile
>> > echo "1" >> someFile
>> // wait for a minute
>> > echo "2" >> someFile
>> > hammer history someFile
>>
>> Does it show some history?
>>
>> Peeter
>>
>> --
>
> Yes it does!
>
> $ uname -a
> DragonFly hammer.ccl.aug.edu 3.2-RELEASE DragonFly v3.2.2-RELEASE #0:
> Sun Dec 16 13:26:10 PST 2012 root@pkgbox64.dragonflybsd.org:/usr/obj/build/home/justin/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC x86_64
> $ touch someFile
> $ echo "1" >> someFile
> $ hammer history someFile
> someFile        0000000102afd692 dirty {
>     0000000102c79fc0 21-Jan-2013 21:16:17
> }
> $ echo "2" >> someFile
> $ hammer history someFile
> someFile        0000000102afd692 dirty {
>     0000000102c79fc0 21-Jan-2013 21:16:17
>     0000000102c7a000 21-Jan-2013 21:16:48
> }
>
> That is why I am so confused. When I change files on the server history
> is ok. But when I change files on my own desktop and synchronize with
> Unison history shows only the time of the last synchronization not
> previous versions.

OK I see the same happening with rsync. Seems to me that rsync (and
possibly unison as well) delete the old file and then create a new
file. Each time a file is changed on the desktop, when you do rsync,
it looks as a newly created file on the server with no history and a
single line for transaction and time stamp; and the time stamp is the
moment when rsync was done.

Peeter