Re: An introduction to DPorts

From: Justin Sherrill <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 21:56:52 -0500

--e89a8f2345b3d4514504d25983cd

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd@marino.st> wrote:

> The long-term plan is that building from source will *not* be recommended
> to new users.  Since theoretically every single port in the repository is
> buildable, every single one of them should be stored in an official binary
> repository.  The first recommendation will be to install from binary.
>  Packages should not be missing.  I am aiming for something reliable and
> complete.

How is the binary repository built up?  I think you were using poudriere,
but if so I assume it's not the same version that is available from the
etoilebsd.net site.  I'd like to try building a large chunk of packages and
testing installs/etc, especially to compare to the pkgsrc bulk build
process.

--e89a8f2345b3d4514504d25983cd

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM, John Marino <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:dragonflybsd@marino.st"; target=3D"_blank">dragonflybsd@marino.st=
ote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bo=
rder-left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">
The long-term plan is that building from source will *not* be recommended t=
o new users. =A0Since theoretically every single port in the repository is =
buildable, every single one of them should be stored in an official binary =
repository. =A0The first recommendation will be to install from binary. =A0=
Packages should not be missing. =A0I am aiming for something reliable and c=

s the binary repository built up? =A0I think you were using poudriere, but =
if so I assume it&#39;s not the same version that is available from the=A0<=
a href=3D"http://etoilebsd.net";>etoilebsd.net</a> site. =A0I&#39;d like to =
try building a large chunk of packages and testing installs/etc, especially=
 to compare to the pkgsrc bulk build process.</div>

--e89a8f2345b3d4514504d25983cd--