Re: Amusing discussion of 3.2

From: Tomas Bodzar <tomas.bodzar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 07:53:31 +0100

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Carsten Mattner
<carstenmattner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Tomas Bodzar <tomas.bodzar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Carsten Mattner
>> <carstenmattner@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The Linux kernel network subsystem and sparc architecture maintainer
>>> David Miller started a funny discussion on Google Plus at
>>> https://plus.google.com/101384639386588513837/posts/Dkb8iixE4eP
>>>
>>> The discussion is amusing and also interesting but I have to wonder
>>> why not a single person said the obvious that it's not GPL licensed
>>> and that's one major reason attracting developers and user to the BSDs.
>>
>> That's because he's one of army of "clever" guys from RH and similar
>> projects which are behaving like dictators and starting to not care
>> even about other Linux distros, not even about something "out of
>> scope" like BSDs or any other OS project out there.
>>
>> Much more interesting debate (including INTERESTING links) started
>> here http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=135220552521529&w=2
>
> Interesting discussion and I think I can agree with the sentiments there,
> but my interest in David's post is that he did care at all and did in
> a way that's hard to understand coming from an open source developer.
> It's much easier to understand comments for new OpenBSD releases
> like "10 years after Linux OpenBSD kernel gains X". This "why does he
> spend his time optimizing dfly" looks like a joke but I think he means it.

He and a lot of others however really means it because they can feel
"power" and can shout from behind of coverage of some company. Seems
like similar people lost idea about history of Unix, BSD and
especially Linux and its reason for born and what does open source
community really means. It's however becoming more and more visible
and I'm really interested how that will end.

For those who doesn't want through OpenBSD mailing list you can read
views from Linux comunity here (I mean views which understand that
problem)

http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
(Gtk, Gnome, Ubuntu, RH bad behavior....)
http://lwn.net/Articles/520892/ (Gnome clash with other Linuxes and
OpenBSD (BSD))
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/commit/?idP6
(RedHat removing support for older ATI cards from Xorg for any distro)
(btw how about cooperation of Dfly and NetBSD on KMS, any progress?)
http://lwn.net/Articles/512719/ (Debian, Gentoo, Sabayon trying fight to back)
http://www.h-online.com/open/features/GNOME-from-abyss-to-common-ground-1667974.html
(quite a long reading about Gnome, but interesting)

That's why I'm not surprised about Espie's comments on autoconf
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20100310215559 or new theme
http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#52 as something really bad is
getting momentum and speed in open source world. Can't say much about
Dfly, but I know couple of long time Linux users or devs of some apps
moving to it or considering move to Dfly or other BSDs (as I already
helped some of them and some are considering switch), some new users
coming from Linux after years on OBSD as well. I think that good time
for new start of BSD is coming thanks to this as long as we will not
be trying just to be like Linux or copy Linux. Right, compatible as
much as possible with them or other Unix-like systems, but not be just
another copy, but doing some things simply better. It seems to be
working for those long time Linux users and that's good because in the
end those are doing that important hard work and as Antoine is good
example of OpenBSD developer (member of Gnome project in same time,
just seems like other members of Gnome project doesn't have idea how
much instances of Gnome is running on OpenBSD) doing something which
probably not much of you know about BSD on desktop and real use as
desktop and of course network server device in big companies :

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20110420080633 (Puffy in
the corporate aquarium)
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20121026064602 (Their Thin
client solution based on OpenBSD for those big companies)
http://opensource.mtier.org/zbx.html (or Zabbix mobile client for
Apple/Android platforms)

And as another examples there was some talk about NetBSD usermode and
some OS for tables on last EuroBSDcon, however still not saw papers
about it.