Re: /bin/ls vs .dotted files

From: Peter Avalos <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 12:44:29 -0700

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 08:39:48PM +0530, Dan Cross wrote:
> If you are going to make a change, I suggest adding a '-I' and making
> the default -A for *all* users.  Perhaps if people saw how much the
> applications they install are littering their directory namespaces,
> pressure would build to come up with a more sensible convention to
> handle configuration.  Having an arbitrary class of files that are not
> displayed by default is non-intuitive and just weird.
>=20
The standard says, "Filenames beginning with a <period> ( '.' ) and any
associated information shall not be written out unless explicitly
referenced, the -A or -a option is supplied, or an
implementation-defined condition causes them to be written."  We're not
going to violate this by turning on -A for everyone.

As far as making root act the same way as everyone else, I'm fine with
that.  If we do that, I recommend removing the -I option that was just
added.

--Peter

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj--