Re: /bin/ls vs .dotted files

From: Raimundo Santos <raitech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:20:34 -0300

On 13 September 2012 12:21, sad@bestmx.ru <sad@bestmx.ru> wrote:
> Raimundo Santos пиÑ?еÑ?:
>
>> On 13 September 2012 11:53, sad@bestmx.ru <sad@bestmx.ru> wrote:
>>>
>>> even if you all considered assuming -A is good for the superuser,
>>> where on Earth is the opposite option that cancels -A effect?!
>>>

>> I am assuming that you are using your system a lot under root account.
>

> if you are right then i must notice this pitfall long ago.
> which is opposite to the reality.

Well, sorry on this... I just can not see another situation where the
few dot files I ever seen under root account do some noise. But I also
think it is a question of point of view.

>> In other ways, why in the Earth you really need to disable this? I
>> think it is easy to disable the option in source code, but why?
>

> On the contrary!
> it is not easy to disable an option that is not stated on the command line.

Well, just try it! :)

On the other side, I do not see why this behavior is maintained. Just
for historical reasons? I do not like this kind of argument so much,
mainly when it does no much sense. For historical reasons we can put a
note in the man page.

Raimundo A. P. Santos
Bacharelando em Informática
ICMC - USP