Re: solid-state drives

From: Sven Gaerner <sgaerner@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 20:43:22 +0200

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 06:16:13PM -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> This is a spinoff of the Aleutia question, since Aleutia puts SSDs in
> computers. How does the periodic Hammer job handle SSDs? Does reblocking do
> anything different than on an HDD? If a computer has an SSD and an HDD, which
> should get the swap space?
>
> Pierre

On my workstation I use an SSD for the root filesystem, swapcache and
/usr/pkg.

The current configuration has snapshots set to 1d (10d retention time)
and reblocking is set to 7d (1m runtime). All other option (prune,
rebalance, dedup and recopy) are disabled.

Currently it is running fine, but in my opinion running swapcache on a
workstation that just runs for a couple of hours is not always
necessary. I'm just running this setup to play with the swapcache and
the SSD, because I think it is a very nice feature.

Regards,
Sven