Re: frequency scaling on D525MW not working properly

From: Sven Gaerner <sgaerner@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:54:09 +0200

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:28:14AM +0000, Adrian Bocaniciu wrote:

> Intel Atom processors, unlike more expensive Intel processors, do not
> support frequency scaling.
>
> See for example the specifications for Atom D525 at:
> http://ark.intel.com/products/49490/
>
> where it is stated that Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology is not
> supported. The same is written in all Atom datasheets.
>
> The only way to reduce the power consumption of Atom is to ensure that
> the processor is halted when it has nothing to do, i.e. in the idle
> loop, which I suppose that DragonFlyBSD does, or to use the ACPI C3
> sleep state whenever you can tolerate the latency required for waking up
> the processor.
>
> I also have a couple of D525MW boards, but I have not tested
> DragonFlyBSD on them, and they are much less warm, but my Mini-ITX cases
> (Lian Li & Antec) have case coolers that ensure an adequate air flow
> inside the cases even if both the motherboards and the power supplies
> are fanless.

Thanks for the details. I did not look at that point as I expected at
least frequency scaling which is supported by the Atom on the Fit-PC2 I
also use.

I think I will try to get the temperature down by using a fan. But then
it is no longer a fanless system that I wanted to have running all the
time. And a system in a mini-ITX case with a temperature of 55 degrees
is not what I want to have running all the time.

Thanks all for the help. I guess I will have to think about a
replacement to get a cooler fanless system.

Regards,
Sven