Re: machine won't start

From: Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 23:55:01 +0200

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Sascha Wildner <saw@online.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 23:15:47 +0200, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install dfly 3.0.2 on an old amd64 box.
>>
>> When setup was in the configuration phase it didn't allow setting
>> passwords with : or other characters.
>>
>> At that point I hit hard (cold) reset and since that time the machine
>> won't leave the BIOS startup phase (POST?).
>>
>> Took out the CMOS battery for a minute to no avail. Anything else I
>> should try? Is it possible that the ROM or CPU has been damaged by
>> the installer? I can't even get into the BIOS via DEL.
>> I'll take out the CMOS battery overnight and try tomorrow.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> It sounds like http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/989

Pulled out the hdd, put the battery back, started.
First the 4 POST LEDs looked like this
GREEN  RED
GREEN GREEN
After loading default settings in the BIOS and doing some changes
and saving all of it and restarting all LEDs went green.

Thanks Sascha.

Now I only need to find a way get the HDD content repaired.
Suggestions? Can I use the same machine? I suppose
I'll have to buy or find a USB adapter to connext the 3.5" SATA disk?

This is the first time I saw a BIOS hang caused by harddisk content.