Re: bulk build was: computer hung

From: Justin Sherrill <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:15:15 -0400

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Pierre Abbat <phma@phma.optus.nu> wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2012 09:26:34 Justin Sherrill wrote:
>> If you're having problems with a couple packages not rebuilding, the
>> fix is not going to be building 12500 additional packages.  If there's
>> specific packages you can't get to upgrade, looking at the errors for
>> those exact items will do you a lot more good.
>
> I've always upgraded with binary packages, except this once and while I was
> using Source Mage Linux several years ago. Binaries are built from the bottom
> up; pkg_rolling-replace can run into trouble when a package whose name has
> changed, and which it therefore doesn't know how to replace, depends on a
> package that conflicts with a new package that it's building. I had such
> trouble with the Python packages. The default python in 2012Q1 is 2.7;
> previously it was 2.6, and I had lots of build failures because of it. pkgin
> handles this pretty well, but pkg_rolling-replace doesn't.
>
> If I run clean.sh -q, will that continue where it left off instead of
> rebuilding most of the already built packages?
>
> Hopefully I'll have learned how to finish a bulk build by the time 2012Q2 is
> out.

You're still going to end up building 12,500 packages.  The -q option
just doesn't update the pkgsrc files, which makes the startup time a
bit shorter.  You are going down the wrong path for what you want to
do.

If you want to rebuild your python packages, write down the ones you
have installed, remove the ones you have now, and reinstall.  You may
be able to to do this with a few commands with pkg_chk.