network routing malfunction

From: Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 07:32:29 -0400

I have a VPN; sometimes it doesn't work properly.

chausie is the Linux box, which runs the VPN; it has eth0 and ppp0. darner is
the DragonFly box; it has em0. linksys is a router; chausie's eth0 and
darner's em0 are connected to the LAN side. sco is behind NAT on the other
end of the VPN.

I woke up and finished a drawing and had to copy it to sco. My telnet session
to sco had broken during the night. (sco doesn't have ssh; I telnet over the
VPN.) I checked the VPN and found it had dropped, so I restarted it. I tried
telnetting and failed. I tried pinging and succeeded, but running tcpdump on
chausie showed that packets were not going through chausie. I ran "route
show" and "traceroute sco" on darner and then packets started going through
chausie and I logged in to sco. How come?

Pierre
--
Don't buy a French car in Holland. It may be a citroen.