Re: Install DragonFlyBSD on 48 MB RAM

From: Justin Sherrill <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:02:05 -0500

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM,  <v_2e@ukr.net> wrote:

> P.S. After the installation I ran 'make pkgsrc-create' like
> DragonFlyBSD online documentation suggests, and it has been running for
> about 2 days already. :D
> I can see a program with a command line:
>    git index-pack --stdin -v --fix-thin --keep=fetch-pack 782 on Hippy
> --pack_header=2,1682778
> consuming about 137 MB of memory, so it looks like it really dived deep
> into swap. :)
>  Any advices on that?

Hmm.  You could download a tarball of pkgsrc files:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/pkgsrc-2011Q4/pkgsrc.tar.gz

Put that at /usr/pkgsrc.  Unfortunately, that's going to be pkgsrc
current instead of the quarterly release, so it's possible some
packages won't build.  That may at least be less memory intensive.

You could also download pkgsrc via CVS, (see
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-fetch.html#chap-fetch-cvs)
which also may be less memory intensive.  I don't know if CVS comes
installed on a DragonFly system any more, through.