Re: Install DragonFlyBSD on 48 MB RAM

From: Thomas Nikolajsen <thomas.nikolajsen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 01:22:38 +0100

>So my question is: can I install DragonFlyBSD on my PC with 48 MB
>RAM? And if it is possible, then what is the right way to do it?

Yes that should be possible;
you will have to setup a swap partition (e.g. 256MB) on your HD and
enable it (swapon), before running the installer.

48MB is a rather low mem system, so you might not be able to run the installer,
but you can do manual install of DragonFly, that way you will also learn the steps,
see /README on install media; please use UFS; not HAMMER, it needs more mem.
(http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/blob/HEAD:/nrelease/root/README)

48MB will not get you running big programs, only do small things,
but it should work, see http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2012/02/28/9296.html.

As some developers has expressed in this thread problems triggered by such
a small amount of mem might not get 1st priority from them, but just file a bug if you do see such.

 -thomas