Re: Install DragonFlyBSD on 48 MB RAM

From: v_2e@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:00:03 +0200

  Hello!

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:34:54 -0800 (PST)
Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

>     I think the answer is probably 'no'.  We don't try to make the
> system work with such a small amount of memory.  It should be able to
> boot with 128MB of ram or more, though to really be decent a more
> contemporary machine is necessary.
>
>     It might boot on less memory... in fact it will, but I don't
> think I've ever tried to boot it with less than 64M and even 64M is
> probably too little.
>
> 						-Matt

  I thought everything should be fine because I have been using
GNU/Linux with a bunch of lightweight servers on this system for a
couple of years and it worked well. In fact, I had a torrent-client
(transmission), FTP server (vsftpd), HTTP server (thttpd), NTP client,
SSH server, rsync server, NFS server, DNS server (for emitting my own
domains' data), DHCP server there, and all of these seemed to work fine.
That is why I thought that with DragonFlyBSD there should be the
similar possibilities. Or maybe DragonFlyBSD's kernel consumes more
memory than Linux?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:54:02 -0500
Venkatesh Srinivas <me@acm.jhu.edu> wrote:

> You might be able to make progress by reducing the amount of memory
> reserved during boot for DMA allocations.
>
> You'll also be able to enable swap from the installer CD by logging in
> as root and using swapon on the swap partition.

  Could you please tell me how can I do that in more detail? Or point me
to the corresponding part of DragonFlyBSD documentation?

  Thank you.
    Vladimir
-----
 <v_2e@ukr.net>