Re: What is the minimal memory requirement for HAMMER?

From: "Samuel J. Greear" <sjg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:48:01 -0700

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Zenny <garbytrash@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi:

I am trying to experiment with HAMMER with a spare PIII/500Mhz old
machine with 256MB of RAM. I installed the RELEASE-2.10 version of
DFBSD.  But when I try to execute "hammer cleanup", it spits out an
error that reads:

"hammer: System has insufficient buffers to rebalance the tree.  nbuf < 3969"

However, when I checked in the archive of the mailinglist
(http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2010-03/msg00057.html),
it states that 128MB is the minimal requirement, right?!

In that case the hw that I am using exceeds the minimal requirement
and still spits out the error, which reportedly due to the low memory
(http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2011-05/msg00074.html)

Please throw some light! (Very dark here in Scandinavia during winters
like this) ;-)

That isn't an error, just a warning. You do not have enough memory to rebalance the tree, but this will not greatly affect your HAMMER experience.

Sam