Re: running whois on African IP address returns ARIN record

From: Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 07:20:51 -0500

On Wednesday 09 November 2011 15:06:50 joris dedieu wrote:
> Unlike Marco d'Itri's whois implementation that you will find in most
> linux distro, DragonFlyBSD's whois does not embed a list of prefixes
> distribution. So it will ask arin.net for every request on an ip.
> You may find several whois implementations on pkgsrc. As far as I know
> there is no BSD implementation of an elaborate whois as Marcos's one.

I tried several and found that jwhois works well. It even handles the
two-netblock case, which I couldn't figure out on Linux whois.

It does have a problem with my IPv6 address. I have to specify arin.net to get
info on that. I've sent a report to the bug email.

Pierre
--
La sal en el mar es más que en la sangre.
Le sel dans la mer est plus que dans le sang.