Re: onboard sound

From: Matthias Rampke <matthias.rampke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:31:21 +0100

On Donnerstag, 3. November 2011 at 03:58, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> Okay, can you recommend some programs to use the sound? I tried alsa play, and
> got this:
>
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2215:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

ALSA is Linux-only. There is supposedly a compatibility library, but I've never gotten it to work and it seems to be unmaintained.

The BSD soundsystem is OSS compatible; so you want either something with OSS output or something that uses libao; IIRC you also need to install audio/libao-oss for those.

A quick test to check if sound works is "cat < /dev/urandom > /dev/pcm0" (expected result: noise :))

--matthiasr