Re: DragonflyBSD on Areca w/ HAMMER

From: Dean Hamstead <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 09:32:39 +1000

Well, there is a possibility to add and remove volumes other than the
root volume, but IMHO
it's still considered experimental. In combination with LVM you could
emulate expanding and
shrinking of a Hammer filesystem.

In my case, the underlying raid card can expand the volumes it presents to the operating system as a 'disk' without changing data.

This can also be replicated by dd'ing a small disk to a large disk, or expanding the disk size in a virtual machine.

In freebsd, i can add a new disk to the raid set and expand the volume live (thats the card). Unmount /dev/da0 (i format the disk raw, rather than slicing it), rescan for devices - the disk is re-detected as being bigger- then i run growfs /etc/da0. mount that volume and off i go.

obviously im not mounting /dev/da0 as /, otherwise unmounting it would go rather badly.

So basically im looking to do the same with HAMMER. But gaining snapshots and dedeplication etc over UFS.

Dean

Regards,

Michael

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Dean Hamstead<dean@fragfest.com.au>