DragonFly users List (threaded) for 2011-05
Re: System on SSD
just some notes about the current state migrating to an SSD for the system.
I installed the SSD, created a GPT partition on it that contains the following
a: 1 GB UFS
b: 40 GB swap
d: 8 GB HAMMER
e: 10 GB unused
Currently only swap is used by swapcache. That indeed speed up things like
tab-completion, searching for files and build pkgsrc a lot. But I did not run
an benchmarks or speed comparison tests.
UFS should contain /boot and the rest of the system (/usr and /var) will go on
the HAMMER filesystem. Any PFSs that are heavily modified will stay on another
Before using the SSD for the system I tried migrating the system from an
older and smaller HDD to a bigger one. I used the following steps, that are
also described in  and the gpt man page.
* partition the new disk
* use cpdup to copy /
* remove any links in /pfs via rm
* run "hammer mirror-copy /olddisk/pfs/usr /newdisk/pfs/usr"
to mirror /usr
* do the same for var, var.tmp, ...
* adjust HAMMER configuration of usr.obj, var.tmp, tmp by running
"hammer viconfig /pfs/usr.obj" and set snapshots to "0d 0d" to
disable them completely
* adjust /etc/fstab (mainly change the serial number of the disk :))
* run boot0cfg to make the new disk bootable
That's all to copy the system. Most of the time is waiting for the mirror-copy
command to finish.