DragonflyBSD on Areca w/ HAMMER

From: Dean Hamstead <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:07:25 +1000

Hi Guys

Im thinking about reloading my home file server with dragonflybsd. Mainly so i can take advantage of the rather awesome looking HAMMER filesystem.

My home server has an Areca 1260 SAS raid card, which is reported as being supported by the arcmsr man page.

Im looking for confirmation from other users that areca cards work well, and that the admin tools are supported from freebsd or otherwise implemented independently.

Also id like to get some feedback that HAMMER is up to the task of being belted really hard over sustained periods.

Im also not able to see find a conclusive answer to if HAMMER can be expanded (as im relatively frequently adding more disks, and expanding my raid array - currently im using UFS tool growfs)

I have dabbled with ZFS on freebsd, but found it wanting. HAMMER seems much more 'next generation' - rather than just collapsing some raid features in to the filesystem.

Dean
--
http://fragfest.com.au