Re: md5 sums and hammerfs encryption

From: Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 10:47:19 -0400

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 02:03:53 Alex Hornung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 24/05/11 18:42, Milo wrote:
> > - On wikipedia I found that hammerfs is supporting transparent
> > encryption but I was unable to find more details about that while
> > checking linked to article's page man pages and notes. Can you shed some
> > light on this topic?
>
> HAMMER itself doesn't provide any encryption support. Our transparent
> encryption is file-system agnostic (you can also encrypt your swap and
> UFS, for example) and is implemented in the device mapper (dm) as
> dm_target_crypt. To use it, you should check out the cryptsetup man
> page, or for that matter, any linux dm-crypt disk encryption tutorial,
> since we have the same *userland* tools.
>
> The installer also has support for creating encrypted volumes on install
> already.

Last I checked, I get only one chance to type the password, and as the
keyboard layout isn't set yet, I usually mess it up. Ubuntu has an early
cryptdisks init script and a later one, and gives me three tries (which is
the default according to the man page).

Also, if root is not encrypted but some other partition is, can the init
script time out and continue booting without the encrypted partition? For
rebooting remotely this would be useful.

Pierre
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa