Hammer on multiple hot-swappable disks

From: Pierre Abbat <phma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 18:08:38 -0400

I'm thinking of founding an ISP and running it with a mix of DragonFly and
Linux boxes. My current boss showed me a rack-mountable server which he uses.
If I understood him right, it has three bays where hot-swappable SCSI drives
can be inserted. I was thinking about how to handle disks that are about to
fail, or whose filesystems are getting too big.

Suppose I have a bunch of disks all partitioned like this:
da#s1a 768 MB ufs /boot
da#s1b 1 GB swap
da#s1d hammer
da#s1e luks hammer.
I have da0 and da1 in the server and I want to insert a disk into da2 and pull
out the one in da1. Can I do this with the "hammer volume-add da2s1d; hammer
volume-del da1s1d"? How long will this take? Do I run cryptsetup on da2s1e
before adding the volume?

Pierre
--
La sal en el mar es más que en la sangre.
Le sel dans la mer est plus que dans le sang.