Re: System on SSD

From: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 21:14:42 +0100

On Tue, 10 May 2011 21:16:31 +0200
Matthias Rampke <matthias@rampke.de> wrote:

> On Dienstag, 10. Mai 2011 at 21:04, Sven Gaerner wrote:
> I also want to move /usr/src and
> > /usr/pkgsrc and the build directories to a normal HDD.
> Why? Isn't this where a SSD really shines? (the pkgsrc tree doesn't
> matter much because it doesn't contain the actual source, but I think you
> really really want the work directories on the SSD)

	The life of an SSD is pretty much determined by how often you write
to it.

	I'm doing something similar with a 40GB Silicon Power V20. I
have /var, /tmp, /home. /usr/obj and /usr/pkgobj ($WRKOBJDIR) mounted from
hammer PFS on RAID1 HDDs (there are a couple of storage PFSs as well) with
everything else (system, pkgrsc, distfiles) in an 8GB UFS partition on the
SSD (currently using 3.1G - I only have a very few packages on this box
though, if I had more I'd want a bigger partition on the SSD - there's
plenty of space).

	The aim being to put the rapidly changing stuff on HDDs and the
frequently used slow changing stuff on the SSD (along with swapcache which
has a 16GB swap partition to play in).

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun