Comments on pkgsrc and DragonFly

From: Stephane Russell <srussell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 15:03:58 -0500

While porting programs to DragonFly, I had these issues (which are not
bugs):

- "BSD" is undefined in DragonFly, this isn't working:

#if (defined(BSD) && BSD >= 199306)

Some code might expect this to work for a BSD variant.

- In many autoconf scripts, BSD variants are grouped this way:

case ${OSARCH} in
*BSD)

or

case "$uname" in
*BSD*)

both are excluding DragonFly, since uname -s return "DragonFly" and
OSARCH is usually set to the same value. I can solve this by redefining
OSARCH variable and UNAME_s shell variable as "DragonFlyBSD", which
makes less work to do. But it doesn't seem very clean to me, so I'm not
using it. But it does mean that choosing FreeBSD as build type won't
necessarly mean no changes required on the autotool scripts.

- Some programs are compiling successfully by defining FreeBSD as build
type. Is DragonFly kept close as possible to FreeBSD on purpose or
should we expect this to be a vanishing legacy?

Official positions here will me help me knowing what to expect while
porting.

Thanks,

SR