Re: SSD for boot and swapcache

From: Tim Darby <t+dfbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:47:13 -0700

Cool and thanks for the tip about root chaining.  I wasn't aware of that feature.

Tim

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

:I'm thinking of setting up a 40GB Intel SSD as both the boot drive and
:swapcache.  Is this a reasonable thing to do?  Are there any gotchas or
:things I need to watch out for as I set this up?  I'd like to have /boot as
:UFS and the rest of / as Hammer (the way the installer does it) and have /
:on a different drive.
:
:Tim

   Perfectly acceptable in my view.  I would partition it 700MB for /boot,
   1G reserved for an emergency root, and 32G for swap/swapcache.  Leave ~6G
   unused at the end which you never write to ever (if this is a
   fresh SSD).

   Another option, another reason why I suggest reserving 1G for an
   emergency root, is that Alex has that root chaining feature in the
   system now for dealing with encrypted root drives.  The concept can
   be used whether you encrypt your real root or not.  You'd have to
   play with it, but I recommend reserving that 1GB for potential future
   use for things like that.

   The only real issue with SSD swap/swapcache has to do with excessive
   normal paging to swap, which can eat up the SSDs life (i.e. not even
   related to 'swapcache' itself, which is rate-limited).  /boot itself
   has virtually no impact on a SSD since it is only rarely written to.
   Even installing a new kernel every few weeks would not have any impact.