DragonFly users List (threaded) for 2010-11
Some more stuff brought into the 2.8 branch
* sysctl net.wlan.force_swcrypto has been brought in. Setting this
to 1 causes software crypto to be used instead of the on-wifi-chip
hardware crypto, working around problems in certain chipsets when
used with certain combinations. It must be set prior to running
In particular, some atheros chipsets operating in WPA2+WPS mode
use the wrong encryption key for broadcast packets. If your wireless
authenticates fine but you can't seem to get an IP after that you can
try using this setting.
* 2.8 now recognizes HAMMER version 5 filesystems, for those people who
are switching between 2.8 and the development tree.
I also brought in HAMMER de-dup but please note that de-dup is
considered highly experimental still and should not be used on
* A possible bug fix to a rare 'panic: assertion: lf_global_counter>=0...'
panic has been brought in.
* The mbuf cluster size has been bumped from 2K to 4K as a temporary
workaround to other wireless issues (wpi in this case). This is not
ideal and causes a bit of ram to be wasted but it's the best we could
come up with for now. And truth be told, mbuf/mbuf-cluster limits
have fallen behind the times anyway relative to the amount of ram
machines have these days.
* Added sysctl kern.sysbeep_enable (defaults to 1). For those people
like me whos laptops would beep every time a terminal beep occured,
it can get rather annoying in a conference or public place. Setting
this to 0 will disable the annoying beeps.
* A few minor bug fixes have also been brought in.
We are working on a 2.8.3 sub-release in a week or two to incorporate
these and other bug fixes (including an annoying console deadlock which
was fixed just after the release). If you don't want to wait you
can track the 2.8.x branch and build/update your kernel yourself.
Generic instructions on building kernels can be found here: