Re: Misleading directory names

From: Antonio Huete Jimenez <ahuete.devel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:31:53 +0200

Justin,

How would anyone be using amd64 directory for 2.0 if we didn't have it
back then?

Anyways this is not a big issue in my opinion. amd64 is a directory
and x86_64 a symbolic link to it. It only contains packages for 2.6
and 2.7 and by those releases our 64-bit arch. name is x86_64 so I see
no point in having both amd64 and x86_64. I would say wipe out x86_64
symbolic link and rename amd64 directory to x86_64 just for
consistency.

People navigating with a browser the package hierachy is not as
unusual as we might think. For example, when you are looking for a
specific package to know its URL so pkg_add works properly fetching
all the other dependencies, or when you're looking for the URL to set
on pkgin's configuration file.

Cheers,
Antonio Huete