Re: Misleading directory names

From: Przemysław Pawełczyk <pp_o2@xxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:58:11 +0200

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:14:52 +0200
Matthias Schmidt <matthias@dragonflybsd.org> wrote:

(...)
> > 2. Would you put the information about legacy into every nook and
> > cranny of DFBSD documentation? Nope. What's the purpose then to
> > litter DFBSD and mirror servers with the Doublespeak? ;-) Let
> > bygones be bygones. ;-)
>
> There might be older installations out in the wild whose tools depend
> on the amd64/ link, e.g. pkg_radd/pkg_search.
>
> So what's the issue with having two entries with the same target in
> the directory of a mirror server?  Even if there is a README which
> explains that amd64 == x86_64. *scratcheshishead*

Doesn't it seem to you like being a bit untidy? And, btw, for how long
"the legacy" will be going on...? With so much changes between 2.6.3
and 2.8.0? Do you really think/know that "the legacy" systems will be
kept running yet after new release (which one)?

Manpower shortages define status quo, no doubt about it, as
pkg_radd/pkg_search are still unchanged with amd64 links.

I tell you sincere, I made "research", my posts may testify, how
far the system is "mature" - of course on my terms, not DFBSD
developers'. And I didn't buy the "production ready" hype.

Regards

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk (P2O2) [pron. Pshemislav Paveltchick]
http://pp.blast.pl, pp_o2@o2.pl