Re: Why did you choose DragonFly?

From: Joe Talbott <josepht@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:15:48 -0400

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 01:33:28PM -0600, Samuel J. Greear wrote:
> This mail is intended for the infrequent responders and lurkers on the
> list just as much as the regular posters.
>
> What has drawn you to use the DragonFly BSD operating system and/or
> participate in its development by following this list? Technical
> features, methodologies, something about the community? I suspect the
> HAMMER filesystem to be the popular choice, but what other features
> affect or do you see affecting your day to day life as an
> administrator, developer, or [insert use case here], now or in the
> future?
>
> Thanks in advance for your response.

I was drawn to DragonFly BSD from the beginning for the opportunity to
watch the project develop from the start.  I had been using FreeBSD
since the 3.2 days and really liked the 4.x branch while 5.x had quite
a few issues.

As others have stated, a large part of what kept me interested was the
community.  Everyone seemed eager to learn, explore, and help each
other.  The discussions are educational, humorous, and sometimes
dramatic.

HAMMER, vkernel, and tokens are all nice features.

Another thing that I really like is that simplicity is a goal.  Not,
let's add every bell, whistle, horn, and clarion that we can just to
say we did.

Joe