Re: Utility to list /dev/nodes & serno's

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 13:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi people,
:
:is there a way to easily list all disks and their associated serno's ?
:Something like 'blkid' utility of Linux, if you happen to know it.
:I could happily hack something like that, if we lack it.
:Cheers,
:Stathis

   There isn't, and that would be cool.  It is fairly easy to match
   up device numbers from devfs.

   You can use sysctl kern.disks output to get a list of disk devices,
   then you can scan /dev and pick those base names out and stat them,
   and you can scan /dev/serno and stat those babies and match up
   the st_rdev's with the ones from /dev to getting related serial
   numbers.

   If we wanted to get more involved we could add an ioctl() to retrieve
   the serial number (if available), but it can definitely be scripted
   right now without that.

					<dillon@backplane.com>