HAMMER and RAID question

From: Konrad Neuwirth <konrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:28:50 +0200

Hello,

let me start this first by admitting that I know next to nothing about designing and implementing file systems. It is just that I've been naively thinking about things.

It is my understanding that code has been added to reblock files during production use. Could this not also be the foundation of RAID-like functionality? If blocklists had a notion that a block needs to exist on at least two physical volumes, mirroring would already be there.

Or is this too far away from what HAMMER does internally these days?

Thank you,
 Konrad Neuwirth