Re: BSDStats: Status Report

From: Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 12:21:04 +0300

On 26/05/2010 12:26 πμ, Alexander Polakov wrote:
2010/5/26, Marc G. Fournier<scrappy@hub.org>:
As of this posting, we are getting reports in from all the *BSD variants:

    PCBSD              4 872
    FreeBSD            1 627
    DesktopBSD           154
    NetBSD                43
    OpenBSD               15
    DragonflyBSD          14
    MidnightBSD            3
    MirBSD                 3

The sites includes basic instructions for installing / running on the
various *BSDs ...

Hey, man, don't you think this statistics is a bit stupid? It shows only how many users your statistics software has, not *BSD users count. And I bet you have it installed by default in PCBSD (and not others). So, what's the point?

It's a lower bound (assumming no cheating which you can't detect anyway) on the number of users you have, which might not be /completely/ useless. Using those numbers for userbase comparisons is silly of course :)

Unless the bsdstats script can do reasonably anonymous data collection so that we can all turn it on by default I don't see that changing.

Aggelos