Re: problem with system freeze

From: Siju George <sgeorge.ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:33:20 -0700

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Goetz Isenmann <info@goetz-isenmann.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My problem started many weeks ago, with a cheap amd64 system running
> i386 dfly240 and after updating to something (I believe) between
> 2.5.1.750 and 850, and any later version. The system stopped suddenly
> responding to the keyboard and the mouse. As far as I remember, it only
> happened within X11, and maybe only while also using the network. For
> example restarting firefox with 10-20 open tabs often ended with a
> freeze.

oh boy,

It happened to me on my amd64 machine in 2.7 development last week.
everything stopped responding keyboard mouse etc.

I thought it was the window manager problem ( enlightenment ) so i
tried different window manager but it still froze. Yes as you said I
also had firefox in it.

Then I tried the i386 port. 2.7 development on the same hardware. i
had no problems when i was using the xorg packages from avalon.

but yesterday i did two things.

1) complie an SMP kernel.

2) make pkgsrc-update && pkg_rolling-replace -u

Today the system froze.

I thought it was the SMP kernel but then I booted in the old kernel
and still the system froze.

I changed the window manager from enlightenment to ctwm but it still
showed the same problem.

I guess it is the xorg in pkgsrc current that is the culprit.
But I am not sure since it was time to leave office i thought I will
do further tests on monday and try to corner the bug and report it.

thanks

--Siju