Re: starting Apache

From: Thomas Nikolajsen <thomas.nikolajsen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:56:20 +0200

>But I think I'd prefer /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, to have a clean separation between
>base and pkgsrc rc scripts (which might have the same names).

I can second this; please make /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d default for pkgsrc;
it is just too messy to use /etc/rc.d for non base scripts IMHO.

(BIND removal instructions for next release should be updated to reflect this)
(also in an ideal world everyone will agree on this and we can GC rc scripts; vs now:
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commitdiff/63a7853169a0e37ad03fd8e3e042194273885b34)

rc variable namespace still isn't separated, e.g. no reserved name space
for base rc scripts, any ideas for this?
It might be for this reason that pkgsrc doesn't install rc scripts by default in rc.d;
they can break existing setup, if we use variable name for base rc script
which some package also uses.

 -thomas