2.7 amd64 Desktop issues ( mouse, RAM, perfomance etc. )

From: Siju George <sgeorge.ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:13:17 +0530

Hi,

I was trying to configure

 2.7-DEVELOPMENT DragonFly v2.7.3.21.gc791f-DEVELOPMENT #14: Mon May
10 10:25:53 UTC 2010
root@pkgbox64.dragonflybsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X86_64_GENERIC
x86_64

as a desktop and faced the following problems?

1) Only 1 processor detected - Is SMP not supported on amd64?

2) Only 3GB of 4GB RAM is detected. Is there a limit?

3) If there is a cd in the tray it keeps on rotating for even without
being able to eject

4) Xorg is dead slow. I tried wmaker, enlightenment, flux box and the
default thing that come with X

a) Mouse cursor does not move when mouse is moved initially and then
it moves very fast to update to its final position.

I have no moused enabled and In xorg.conf I have

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "Mouse0"
       Driver      "mouse"
       Option      "Protocol" "auto"
       Option      "Device" "/dev/ums0"
       Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

The full xorg.conf log is here

http://pastie.org/960034

b) Typing in stuff on xterm or anywhere else like this mail takes a
long time to appear on screen

c) Screen redraw takes a very long time

Should I be using the i386 port instead?

The dmesg is here

http://pastie.org/960040

Also will flash in firefox be available on the amd64 port?

What about qemu? the pkgsrc build failed because of policykit. What
emulator softwares work best on dfly especially the amd64 port?

The top command gives

http://pastie.org/960044

and

ps aux